...................... 16 PARACHUTE FIELD AMBULANCE (Airborne Medics) ......................
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buckshee jump.

2 posters

Go down

Buckshee jump. Empty Buckshee jump.

Post  door bundle Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:37 am

I was sent down to Weston on the green yesterday to cover a brigade refresher jump.
it was using the sky van plane which is a light civilian type aircraft, it only holds 12 blokes but can land onto the DZ using a grass runway so cuts down on flight time.
sky van is the aircraft of choice for refresher jumps, as it has small single sticks of 4 or 5 and is usually at about 800 feet off the tail ramp. this is a gift for paratroopers who are use to jumping 600 feet, at night, with sticks of anything up to 40 blokes on each side of the aircraft jumping at the same time Crying or Very sad (the most dangerous thing to a paratrooper in the sky is other paratroopers)
As most of the guys couldn't due to being on the Olympics there was only 50 lads that needed to jump over the space of the day.
so come 1500 hrs the PJI tells me its the last stick of the day and they still have the sky van for another 2 hours.
so I joked that I would jump Very Happy yea you could do if you had done the ground training he replied ,at this point I remember ground training lasts 28 days and I had only jumped 2 weeks before out of a c130.
A borrowed helmet and container later and I'm climbing to 800 feet in the back of the sky van,red on ! green on ! and off the tail ramp.
By the time I had counted to 3000 all was quiet and I had no twists so I dropped my container,time to assess my drift and get on the correct risers.
Then just a few seconds of enjoying the view before landing, which always hits me like a heavy rugby tackle bounce but once I have done the head to toe pain check and knew I was all right I was smiling for the rest of the day Laughing

MEGA IN THE PARAS !!!
door bundle
door bundle

Back to top Go down

Buckshee jump. Empty Re: Buckshee jump.

Post  Andy Wood Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:45 am

Nice one Eddie, so does that jump go in the log book or would the PJIs have to keep shtum about it? Cool
Andy Wood
Andy Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  door bundle Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:09 am

as long as you have completed the ground training within 28 days it's all above board and can be logged on the para record card.
the aircraft drills are slightly different between sky van and c130, but a quick brief from PJI on the tail ramp soon made everything clear as mud ! Shocked
door bundle
door bundle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum