...................... 16 PARACHUTE FIELD AMBULANCE (Airborne Medics) ......................
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

142 Pte K W Robson

3 posters

Go down

142 Pte K W Robson Empty 142 Pte K W Robson

Post  Padre Matt Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:08 am

My maternal great grandfather.

Joined up on 17th April 1908 - possibly en bloc with mates- [from Durham St Johns Ambulance] - as a Private in 2nd Northumbrian Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C., part of the new 4th Northumbrian Division Territorial Force Very Happy

I only just started researching this side of the family thanks to some almost forgotten info gleaned from my aunt, and came up with the following. They were in the 1st Battle of Ypres in 1915, sadly he had 2 spells in hospital with influenza and then caught the 'new' [at the time] trench nephritis, which accounted for 10% of bed space and 5% of all medical admissions in WW1. It is a kidney related illness and caused over 15,000 soldiers to claim a pension after 1918. He ended up being given a Blighty and had to have almost 2 months in a convalescent hospital in Eastborne before being discharged only fit for Home Service.

As a new illness at the time, it was not met with great success by the medical authorities and hundreds of people died, mainly non-com trench soldiers, mostly treatments were ineffective. Another of my relatives on my fathers side was also sent back to England with the same illness. He recovered and went back to France but died later in the war.

Have found a bunch of docs on ancestry relating to him, so now I shall spend a bit of time finding out about the unit he was in.

Padre Matt
Padre Matt

Back to top Go down

142 Pte K W Robson Empty Re: 142 Pte K W Robson

Post  Padre Matt Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:21 am

Found out his younger brother also served in the same RAMC unit in WW1 also! Wink
Padre Matt
Padre Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  brian Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 pm

Very interesting we can see now why there was a mass of Sanitarium ,s in the post first world war 20,s Very Happy
brian
brian

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:42 pm

Nice history review there Padre and thanks for sharing!!

Also very nice to see you back in the unit ; )

Kenny
Kenny
Kenny

https://16pfa.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum